Week 15 Prompt



 I think some of the better ways to market our fiction collection is to have displays everywhere throughout the floor and by the circulation desk when patrons are checking out. I would chose to have book displays at the end of the book aisles that rotate to different genres and topics every week or so. This is great for catching patron’s eyes-the cover sometimes really does make or break the book. If the cover is too plain, a patron might not pick it up to read the synopsis (I’ve been guilty of doing that).  I also liked Saricks’ recommendation at displaying “Titles You May Have Missed” that rotate on a weekly basis and constantly changing. At the beginning of the year, I did a “Best of 2017” book display and placed the books that were best-sellers or that Library Reads recommended and it was very popular, I can see this also being popular. Another way I would market the book collection would be to have bookmarks or small signs posted around the collection and circulation desk recommending patrons try titles based on their favorite genre or author or appeals. Finally, one that I did not know much about until I read the Saricks’ reading, I would want to try out a book talk and see how our patrons respond to it. The book talk reminds me of the book trailers that are created to generate interest and engage the reader into wanting to borrow that book. I think this would be interesting because it is not necessarily passive readers’ advisory that the displays and bookmarks are, but it is more engaging and interactive with the patron.

Comments

  1. I agree I would love to try doing a book talk at some point. I think it would be fun. I had to do a book trailer and a book talk for another class and it was fun putting the information out for others to see it and get feed back. I like the idea of doing the "Best of 2017" or even a best of 2018 so far. Get patrons to try and find new books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Best of 2018 would be a lot of fun! I've heard about the book trailer assignment and thought it sounded like fun!

      Delete
  2. I like your bookmark idea. I always am casting around for something to keep my place and designing and compiling bookmark lists to help satisfy RA needs and place-marker needs for customers seems an effective and easy way to serve customers and promote the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "Best of 2017" display, it kind of fits Saricks' idea of 'good books you might have missed' but also serves as a great seasonal display celebrating great books throughout the year. I would love to use your idea and decorate it with those silly shiny cardboard hats and streamers like at a New Year's party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't really heard that much about book talks before this semester. I think it sounds like it would be really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas!! I love that book talks are making a comeback!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Women's Lives and Relationships Annotation

Secret Shopper

Week 12 Prompt